Policy Adviser – Sustainable Finance
The European Banking Federation (EBF) works at the heart of the European banking sector. Our daily activities are determined by the dynamics between European integration, finance, public policy and financial regulation. It is our job to bring together 32 national banking associations in Europe and represent some 3,500 banks – large and small, wholesale and retail, local and international.
We act as a platform for representation and for a constructive exchange of ideas and expertise among banks, regulators, supervisors and other entities that drive the innovation and sustainability of the banking sector and ultimately the financing of the economy. As a team, we tend to aim higher and learn, work and deliver together in an informal, impact-driven manner.
The EBF is seeking to recruit, as a full-time position, a Policy Adviser – Sustainable Finance who will be instrumental in designing and delivering an EBF advocacy strategy with regard to sustainable finance, coordinating members’ actions, and contributing to a coherent, constructive, result-oriented banking sector response based on a shared understanding of priorities and developments by all relevant stakeholders. The Adviser will work within the Financing Growth team of the EBF, which covers corporate lending and financial markets as well as sustainable finance, and also ensure that sustainable finance is incorporated into the EBF’s overall strategy with regard to meeting the needs of the European economy.
- Help with the implementation of the EBF strategy and objectives on Sustainable Finance;
- Coordinate internal EBF Working Groups and help ensure impactful output;
- Draft and deliver positions/responses to consultations on relevant legislation;
- Support, where and as necessary, the communication of EBF’s messages including public speaking and event organization;
- Actively build ongoing direct contacts with key stakeholders in the area of sustainable finance (EU institutions, with the particular focus on the European Commission, European Parliament, European Supervisory Authorities, international entities / standard setters, official bodies, other associations);
- Help engage and unite the different stakeholders who contribute to an effective regulatory framework and an aligned agenda on sustainable finance in Europe and globally;
- Help anticipate regulatory developments and coordinate EBF position-building and advocacy work in the field of sustainable finance;
- Support member associations and banks in implementing related regulations and rules;
- Engage in projects with EBF partners in the area of sustainable finance.
- Providing input to EU regulation in the field of sustainable finance/ESG in particular the area of EU Taxonomy, Disclosures, Climate Risk and financial markets;
- Engagement in key projects advancing the financial services and banking agenda at the European level, in cooperation with other trade associations, regulators and expert groups, ensuring smooth coordination and management of tasks and member input;
- Preparation of internal and external meetings or events (slides, briefing materials, data gathering, etc.), agenda coordination and outreach to EU and international institutions, EBF members and other stakeholders;
- Proactive member engagement with European banks, managing position-making, coordinating advocacy positions;
- Leading advocacy efforts– outreach to MEPs, Permanent Representations, EC, EBA & other relevant stakeholders.
Successful candidates fit for the following profile:
- University degree in finance, economics, environmental science, law, political science international relations or any other related field, preferably at Masters’ level;
- Good knowledge of banking business and EU public affairs with at least two years of working experience, preferably in the financial services industry, trade associations or EU institutions;
- Good knowledge of financial markets policy and overview of its functioning;
- Excellent understanding of the EU decision-making process;
- Strategic and analytical thinking skills in a project-driven environment;
- Excellent organisational skills and capacity to prepare large meetings, setting out agendas, discussing with experts about relevant content, overseeing the administrative work and taking responsibility for the development of the meeting/event;
- Effective communication and team working skills; good interpersonal and bridge-building skills and ability to work under pressure;
- Excellent influencing skills, persuasiveness and sense of diplomacy;
- Ability to blend the views and inputs provided by EBF members to draft joint position papers in response to public consultations;
- Excellent speaking and writing skills in English;
- Openness to assume responsibilities on a variety of technical matters.
The ideal candidate will show considerable commitment to their work, enthusiasm and a positive attitude towards the various projects for which they will be responsible.
Diversity and Inclusion Policy
The EBF is an equal opportunities employer and takes diversity and inclusion very seriously in all the areas that affect potential and current employees. We believe the diversity of the EBF team is one of our greatest strengths. In addition to being a signatory of the Women’s Empowerment Principles, the EBF is committed to a fair and inclusive recruitment process for individuals of all backgrounds and identities.
Internal Career Development
At EBF, we take the professional and personal development of Policy Advisers and all other staff members very seriously. As part of that development, policy advisers may be offered to move to different files after 1-2 years of employment and asked to assume project roles and activities in addition to their assigned policy area.
How to apply
Please send your curriculum vitae with a letter of motivation to EBF Recruitment at email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline: 26 March 2021
Disclaimer: Please note that, due to high interest in positions at the EBF, we may not be able to respond to every application. If you have not heard from us before 30 April 2021, you may assume that we will not move your application forward. We really appreciate your interest in working with us and wish you best of luck in your search. Thank you for your understanding.