WATCH THE FULL EVENT
Five years since the adoption of the UN Sustainable Development Goals and with less than 10 years left to achieve the SDGs, how prepared are European banks in gearing their strategies towards the 2030 Agenda and the Paris Agreement?
Against the backdrop of the COVID-19 crisis and the growing deficit in financing the investments for sustainable development around the world, the EBF partnered with KPMG Spain to prepare a joint report to generate insights on the implementation and financing of the SDGs through the European banking sector.
Marking the official launch of the report entitled “European bank practices in supporting and implementing the UN Sustainable Development Goals” and with the involvement of speakers from the private and public sectors, the workshop will explore the leading trends and practices in the European banking sector aimed at contributing to the implementation of the SDGs, exploring the following questions:
- Which SDGs are receiving the biggest attention and how are banks incorporating these goals in their strategies? In which SDGs are banks engaged with their core business? Where are the gaps?
- What are the motivations and external and internal variables that drive the strategies?
- How are targets set, which products are aligned and how are different business lines coordinated?
- What role do frameworks such as the Principles for Responsible Banking and Principles for Positive Impact Finance play?
- What are the policies, standards and tools needed to optimize SDG-aligned finance through banks? How is the EU’s forthcoming Renewed Strategy on Sustainable Finance expected to contribute to the SDGs from the banking perspective? What are the best ways to ensure coherence and progress around the world?
CONFIRMED SPEAKERS INCLUDE
- Giovanni Sabatini, Chairperson, EBF Steering Committee for FG & General Manager, Italian Banking Association ABI
- Catherine Howarth, CEO, ShareAction
- Toni Ballabriga, Chairperson, EBF Sustainable Finance WG & Global Head of Responsible Business, BBVA
- Carlo Brenner Sgarbi, Policy adviser, European Regulatory and Public Affairs, Intesa Sanpaolo
- Burçak Inel, Director for Financing Growth, EBF
- Ramón Pueyo, KPMG Impact Partner Sustainable Transformation
- Daniel Bouzas, Regional Coordinator for Europe, UNEP FI
European Banking Federation
The European Banking Federation is the voice of the European banking sector, bringing together national banking associations from across Europe. The federation is committed to a thriving European economy that is underpinned by a stable, secure and inclusive financial ecosystem, and to a flourishing society where financing is available to fund the dreams of citizens, businesses and innovators everywhere.
56 Avenue des Arts
+32 2 508 37 11
D-60311 Frankfurt am Main
+49 69 17509942
- Taxonomy as a transition tool: Interview with Daniel Bouzas Luis, Regional Coordinator for Europe at UNEP FI
- Interview with Massimiano Tellini, Head of Circular Economy, Intesa Sanpaolo Innovation Center
- Banks should be considered facilitators, but transition can’t only rest on their shoulders, says Giovanni Sabatini, General Manager of the Italian Banking Association and Chair of the EBF Steering Committee for Financing Growth